Where does bilirubin come from?

Bilirubin is the washed out breakdown product of normal heme catabolism. Heme is found in hemoglobin, a principal component of red blood cells. Bilirubin is excreted contained by bile, and its levels are elevated in certain diseases. It is responsible for the wan color of bruises and the yellow discoloration in jaundice. Source(s): Wikipedia
Where does bilirubin come from?
Bilirubin comes from hemoglobin (the oxygen carrying protein) in old red blood cell. As red cells are broken down in the body, the hemoglobin inside gets converted by enzymes to become bilirubin. The bilirubin is consequently transported in the blood to the liver. The liver processes it further (called conjugation) and then sends it to the gall bladder. The gallbladder later excretes the bilirubin into the intestine, where it goes into the baby's stool and is eliminated from the body. Source(s): http://www.plateaupediatrics.com/jaundic…
Bilirubin is a breakdown end product of heme containing proteins. About 80% of bilirubin is formed from the breakdown of erythrocyte hemoglobin (after 120 days of erythrocyte life in the blood) contained by the reticuloendothelial system (RES). The remaining 20% of daily produced bilirubin is formed from erythrocyte precursors in bone marrow (called inefficient erythropoiesis) and other heme proteins (myoglobin, cytochromes, catalase). Hemoglobin breakdown or degradation begin with opening of the heme porphyrin ring, forming the biliverdin/iron/globin compound known as verdoglobin. Then the iron and globin split rotten, and bilirubin is formed by the reduction of biliverdin. Source(s): I'm a nurse.
bilirubin is the by-product of heme when red blood cells break down. they are usually processed by the liver and passed through your urine. Newborns sometimes enjoy an initial problem processing the bilirubin out of there system and become jaundiced and be placed under uv lights to help their body wipe out it. In adults jaundice and build up of bilirubin is usually an indicator of a liver issue usually liver failure but not always. In both newborns and adults jaundice cause the skin and whites of the eyes to turn yellow as the bilirubin builds up in the bloodstream

Related Questions:
  • My chest bone is rutted !?
  • My heart is pounding really hurriedly. Should I shift check it out next to a doctor?
  • Sortof a yucky request for information but....?
  • How do I cope beside genital herpes?
  • How can I maintain brackish out of my food?
  • Diseases Conditions

    Copyright (C) 2007-2012 DCQnA.com All Rights reserved.     Contact us